Pre-Licensure Baccalaureate Nursing Education (BSN)
There are a variety of different academic paths to achieve a BSN degree at the UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies. From students who begin their studies at UMKC as pre-nursing students directly out of high school to transfer students who have chosen to complete prerequisite requirements elsewhere, there is a path for you here. Upon completion of application requirements and admission to the clinical major, students complete our three-year Pre-Licensure (traditional) BSN program, which is intentionally designed to maximize student engagement in clinical experiences. If you are a high-achieving high school student, please consider visiting our Direct Admit Program page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another discipline, please consider visiting our Accelerated BSN program page. Or, if you are already a registered nurse (RN), please consider visiting our RN-BSN program page.
Advantages of completing your Bachelor of Science in Nursing with the UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies (SoNHS):
- Complete 1,200 clinical hours, the most in the Kansas City region.
- Due to the extensive amount of clinical hours completed, clinical partners consistently report that UMKC BSN graduates are “job ready” for success as a new graduate nurse.
- Clinical courses are enhanced with experiences in our state of the art experiential learning spaces, including a nursing skills laboratory and high-fidelity simulation center.
Our unique clinical experience offers:
- The opportunity for extensive clinical experience in adult medical-surgical, pediatric, obstetric, mental health, community health, leadership, and critical/emergency care nursing.
- A 300 hour final semester capstone/internship experience in one of the aforementioned specialty areas.
- Interactions with diverse patients in urban and suburban settings within agencies and hospitals that are privately-owned, publicly-owned, and teaching institutions.
- Optional weekend clinical experiences based on individual student preference.
Highlights of completing your BSN with the UMKC community of learners:
- All Kansas residents receive in-state tuition through UMKC’s Kansas Rate.
- Residents of 15 regional Midwestern states receive discounted tuition through UMKC’s Heartland Rate.
- Be part of a community that values respect, inclusion and diversity, integrity, excellence, innovation, and health. Read more about the SoNHS Statement of Values and the UMKC Statement of Values.
- Attend one of only 18 universities in the country located within a dedicated Health Sciences District where Nursing and Health Studies, Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy share a single, walkable campus, fostering exceptional interprofessional student learning opportunities.
- Get involved in student life activities centered around your personal interests.
Current high school student interested in coming to UMKC as a freshman pre-nursing student?
- Opportunity to apply for the Direct Admit Program bypassing the supplemental application process ensuring direct placement in the clinical major.
- Tailor your prerequisite and general education coursework with our four and five year degree plan options, to include either one or two years of pre-nursing coursework.
- Five year degree plan option allows students the ability to get involved in campus life, participate in athletics/intramurals, work part-time, and balance other responsibilities.
Current university student interested in transferring to UMKC?
- While the clinical program is three years, transferring in additional general education credits will reduce your semester course load to help support your academic goals and school life/balance. Click here for a sample plan of study.
- UMKC has strong partnerships with area community colleges. Check out our transfer credit equivalencies.