Accelerated Baccalaureate Nursing Education (BSN)
There are a variety of different academic paths to achieve a BSN degree. Our five semester Accelerated BSN program is carefully designed to allow students with a previous bachelor’s degree to complete a BSN in less time than a traditional program, but with opportunities for school-life balance. If you don’t already have a bachelor’s, please consider visiting our Pre-Licensure (traditional) BSN program page. Or, if you are already a registered nurse (RN), please consider visiting our RN-BSN program page.
Advantages of completing your Accelerated BSN with the UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies (SoNHS):
- In less than two years, Accelerated students complete 1,200 clinical hours, the most in the Kansas City region.
- Due to the extensive amount of clinical hours completed, clinical partners consistently report that UMKC BSN graduates are “job ready” for success as a new graduate nurse.
- Clinical courses are enhanced with experiences in our state of the art experiential learning spaces, including a nursing skills laboratory and high-fidelity simulation center.
- Daytime classes allow for more school-life balance by freeing up your evenings and weekends.
- In 2017, demand from our clinical partners contributed to permission from the Missouri State Board of Nursing to increase enrollment in the Accelerated BSN program.
Our unique clinical experience offers:
- The opportunity for extensive clinical experience in adult medical-surgical, pediatric, obstetric, mental health, community health, leadership, and critical/emergency care nursing.
- A 300 hour final semester capstone/internship experience in one of the aforementioned specialty areas.
- Interactions with diverse patients in urban and suburban settings within agencies and hospitals that are privately-owned, publicly-owned, and teaching institutions.
- Optional weekend clinical experiences based on individual student preference.
Highlights of completing your Accelerated BSN with the UMKC community of learners:
- All Kansas residents receive in-state tuition through UMKC’s Kansas Rate.
- Residents of 15 regional Midwestern states receive discounted tuition through UMKC’s Heartland Rate.
- Be part of a community that values respect, inclusion and diversity, integrity, excellence, innovation, and health. Read more about the SoNHS Statement of Values and the UMKC Statement of Values.
- Attend one of only 18 universities in the country located within a dedicated Health Sciences District where Nursing and Health Studies, Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy share a single, walkable campus, fostering exceptional interprofessional student learning opportunities.
- Get involved in student life activities centered around your personal interests.
Pursuant to Section 335.066, RSMo, of the Missouri Nursing Practice Act (http://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=335.066), completion of the
BSN PL or BSN AT programs do not guarantee eligibility to take the licensure examination.