Accelerated BSN program
The UMKC School of Nursing & Health Studies offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program with an accelerated track (AT) that has been granted full approval by the Missouri State Board of Nursing. The curriculum prepares students to succeed as nurses in the management of health and includes complex problem solving, nursing leadership, and management skills in addition to clinical experiences. Each fall, 24 Accelerated Track (AT) students are admitted into the program.
This program is designed for students who already have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and have decided they want to get a BSN. This track takes the three-year pre-licensure course work and condenses it to a 5 semester completion timeframe.
Note: You must have all five pre-requisite courses completed during the spring semester of the year you apply to the clinical program. The five pre-requisites are Anatomy and Physiology with lab, Chemistry with lab, Microbiology, Human Nutrition, and Human Growth and Development. A&P, Chem and Micro cannot be older than five years when starting the program. No grades of C- or lower are accepted for any pre-requisite or clinical course.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Science courses must be no more than five years old at the time you are accepted into the program.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required for all pre-requisite coursework, but higher is strongly recommended.
- There are five pre-requisites: Chemistry with lab, Anatomy and Physiology with lab, Microbiology, Human Nutrition, and Human Growth and Development. The three sciences must not be older than five years when beginning the program. All grades must be C or higher (C- or lower is not accepted). A pre-requisite GPA of 2.75 or higher is required.
- The Student Affairs Committee will review your application, including pre-requisite courses GPA (2.75 is required, but higher is recommended), resume (including any volunteer experience and health care experience the student may have, neither of which is required, but are highly recommended), written essay, and reference letter.
- Submit the UMKC Application
Note: Students who apply for Nursing and meet the UMKC Admissions Office criteria are admitted to UMKC into the BHS (Health Sciences) Accelerated sub-plan. There is a separate Accelerated Nursing Clinical Application through which students are admitted to the clinical nursing major. The application is posted on the Accelerated BSN page each February and is due by May 1 each year for that fall’s clinical start. Decision letters for the clinical program are mailed at the end of May or early June. If accepted into the AT BSN program, your major will change to BSN Accelerated.
- Submit Official transcripts from each institution attended to:
UMKC Office of Admissions
120 Administrative Center
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
- Submit the documents listed below to:
The UMKC School of Nursing & Health Studies
Student Services Office Room 1410
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499