Post-MSN Program Options
Each state has different registration and approval regulations for online degree programs offered within their state. We are not approved to offer online degree programs in all states. We will notify you as soon as possible if these regulations will affect your application to UMKC and, if so, your application fee will be refunded. Please feel free to call us to verify the status of your state’s regulations.
Student’s with a Master of Science in Nursing degree (MSN) have many options at the UMKC School of Nursing & Health Studies:
- If you are currently an advanced practice nurse, certified as a CNS, CRNA, NM, or NP please visit the MSN to DNP site.
- If you are currently a certified advanced practice nurse and want to obtain a 2nd NP, the following emphasis areas are available and at the same time you will be degree seeking for the DNP. Refer to the post-master’s policy for 2nd NP coursework for more specific information.
- If you have your master’s degree in nursing and want to become an advanced practice nurse in one of the following emphasis areas, please refer to the plan of study for non-certified advanced practice nurses. You will receive the DNP degree at the same time you complete the necessary coursework to sit for certification in one of the following areas.
- If you have your master’s and wish to obtain certification in one of the following areas, you will be a non-degree seeking student. Please refer to the attached policy post-master’s policy for more specific information. All application materials are posted on the MSN page.
- Graduate of MSN program from accredited school of nursing
- Current unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Applicants to the ANP and FNP emphasis areas must be licensed in both Kansas and Missouri.
- If certified as a nurse practitioner, a copy of current certification must be submitted.
- Interviews may be requested
- Submit the UMKC Application.
- Submit official transcripts from each institution attended to:
UMKC Office of Admissions
120 Administrative Center
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
- Submit all other documents requested to:
UMKC School of Nursing & Health Studies - Post-MSN Admissions
2464 Charlotte Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
- If you are applying to Post-MSN FPMHNP, NNP or NE certificate program, your application materials can be found on the MSN page
- Post-MSN NP-DNP Supplemental Application
- School of Nursing & Health Studies Application Fee: There is a $25 nursing application fee due with your nursing application materials. Please submit a check or Money Order made out to UMKC for $25.
- Evidence of current unencumbered registered nurse licensure
(Students in the KC area: Adult, Family and Pediatric tracks are required to be licensed in Kansas and Missouri). Distance education students who live, work and practice away from the Kansas City area must have an unencumbered license in the state where they complete their clinical rotations.
- Proof of National Certification as Advanced Practice Nurse (only if applying for 2nd NP)
- Current resume reflecting all experience as an RN
Note: Two years of RN experience is preferred.
- Three Post-MSN NP-DNP Reference Forms from:
1. Immediate supervisor
2. Faculty professor from MSN program
3. Professional reference able to assess your professional characteristics
- Personal Statement of your professional goals and how this program will help you achieve them
- Newly admitted students (except the NNP) must attend a mandatory on-campus orientation. Look for more information with admission letters as well as this website.
- Double check you have done everything on the Post-MSN NP-DNP Application Checklist