Patricia Kelly, PhD, MPH, APRN
Patricia J. Kelly, PhD, MPH, APRN, is Professor, School of Nursing and Health Studies at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, USA, where she mentors doctoral students and teaches quantitative methods courses. Her research is based on feminist and Freiran theory and she has published widely on topics of women’s health and social justice issues, including work with girls and women in the justice system, community-based violence prevention and positive sexuality. Her most recent work is focused on the post-deployment experiences of women in the National Guard. Dr. Kelly is also the editor of the journal Public Health Nursing and co-author of the book Community-Based Health Interventions. Selected publications include:
- Ramaswamy M, Kelly PJ. (2015). Factors associated with sterilization use among women leaving a U.S. jail: A mixed methods study. BMC Public Health.
- Pankey T, Kelly PJ, Nollen N, Ramaswamy M. (i2015). Feasibility of implementing a brief writing intervention with women leaving jail. Journal of Correctional Health Care.
- Kelly, PJ, Ramaswamy, M. & Denny, D. (2015). Self-Management Skills in Community Corrections. Issues in Mental Health Nursing.
- Kelly, P., Cheng, A., Spencer-Caraver, E. & Ramaswamy, M. (i2014). A Syndemic Model of Women Incarcerated in Community Jails. Public Health Nursing. 31, 2, 118–125.
- Kelly, PJ, Nilsson, J., & Berkel, L. (2014). A gendered perspective on military deployment. Women & Health, 54, 1, 61-76
- Kelly, PJ, Berkel, L. & Nilsson, J. (2014). Postdeployment reintegration experiences of female soldiers from national guard and reserve units in the United States. Nursing Research, 63, 5, 346-56
- Kelly, PJ & Ramaswamy, M. (2012). The association between unintended pregnancy and violence among incarcerated women and men. Journal of Community Health Nursing. 29 (4): 202-13.
- Hunter, J. & Kelly, PJ. (2012). Imagined anatomy and other lessons from learner verification interviews with Mexican immigrant women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, 41(6), E1-12.
- Kelly, PJ, Ramaswamy, M., Li, X., Litwin, A., Berg, K. & Arnsten, J. (2012). Social Networks of HIV-positive patients in methadone maintenance: Application of the Norbeck Social Support Scale. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 34(5), 621-34.
- Ramaswamy M, Kelly PJ, Koblitz A, Kimminau KS, Engelman KK. (2011). Understanding the Role of Violence in Incarcerated Women’s Cervical Cancer Screening and History. Women and Health, 51(5): 423-441.
- Kelly, PJ, Lesser, J., Chang, A., Oscos-Sanchez, M., Martinez, E., Pineda, D. & Mancha, J. (2010). A Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial of an Interpersonal Violence Prevention Program with a Mexican-American Community. Family & Community Health, 333, 207-15.
- Kelly, PJ, Cheng, A., Peralez-Dieckkmann, E. & Martinez, E. (2009). Dating violence and girls in the juvenile justice system. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 24(9), 1536-51.
- Kelly, P. & Geller, S. (2008) Unanticipated effects of U.S. policy on international women’s health. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 53, e35-9.
- Kelly, P., Owen, S., Peralez-Dieckmann, E. & Martinez, E. (2007). Health interventions with girls in the juvenile justice system. Women’s Health Issues, 227-36.
- Kelly, P., Ahmed, A., Martinez, E. & Peralez-Dieckmann, E. (2007). Cost analysis of obtaining post-intervention results in a cohort of high-risk adolescent girls. Nursing Research, 56, 269-74.
- Kelly, P., Lesser, J., Peralez-Dieckmann, E., & Alvarado, M. (2007). Promotoras de Buena Vida: A community-based violence awareness project. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 28, 241-54.
- Kelly, P. & Schwartz, L. (2007). Abstinence only policies as a violation of adolescents’ reproductive rights. International Journal of Health Services, 37, 321-31.