The Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP) role provides family-centered and culturally respectful care for pediatric patient’s birth to 21 years of age. Advanced practice nurses (APRNs) provide high-quality healthcare services in a wide-range of problems from acute, chronic, complex, and wellness care to health promotion, disease prevention, health education and counseling. The core courses provide a solid foundation in the use of evidence-based practice guidelines and theory as a basis for the diagnosis and treatment of illness and the promotion of wellness. Clinical experiences are conducted with preceptors in community, inpatient, and outpatient settings.
Primary Care PNP: The main emphasis of the primary care pediatric nurse practitioner (NP) is comprehensive, chronic, continuous care characterized by a long term relationship between the patient and primary care NP, in an outpatient primary care clinic. The primary care NP provides care for most pediatric health needs and coordinates additional health care services that may be needed.
Acute Care PNP: The acute care pediatric nurse practitioner (AC PNP) focuses on restorative care that is characterized by rapidly changing clinical conditions. The AC PNP provides care for patients with unstable chronic, complex acute, and critical conditions most times in an acute care facility.
*PNP Applicants: A minimum of one-year, full-time equivalent clinical experience within the past three years is required for admission.READ MORE
Within the pediatric nurse practitioner track the student options currently include completing one of the following:
- A primary care PNP MSN degree
- A primary care PNP DNP degree
- The post-MSN Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (AC PNP) option
The practitioner in this role is responsible for independent and collaborative decision making with direct accountability for clinical judgement. Graduates of the UMKC PNP programs will:
- Respond to national and local demand for both Primary Care and Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- Take the certification test to be a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner from the ANCC or PNCB.
- Be encouraged to get involved with the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (NAPNAP) the professional home for PNP’s and other advanced practice nurses who care for children.
*Students who select the MSN degree as entry to practice are encouraged to continue on to the DNP degree through the post-MSN program option.
The UMKC NP graduate programs include three separate courses in:
- Advanced pathophysiology
- Advanced pharmacology
- Advanced physical/health assessment
AND content in
- Health promotion and disease prevention, and
- Differential diagnosis and disease management
The MSN educated Nurse Practitioner is prepared to enter advanced practice, ready to assume responsibility and accountability for the health promotion, assessment, diagnosis, and management of patient problems including the prescription of pharmacologic agents within a specialty area of clinical practice.
See the MSN AACN Essentials and the National Nurse Practitioner Faculties Core Competencies for all nurse practitioners.
MSN Application Deadline:
All completed application materials are due by 5:00 pm on the following dates:
- October 16th (for early decision/acceptance) to start coursework in January or June
- March 16, 2018 (for regular acceptance) to start coursework in June
Required on campus clinical institute dates (required for all newly admitted students, with the exception to NNP & NE)
- Summer Semester: May 30th, and 31st 2018, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
The BSN-DNP prepared Pediatric Nurse Practitioner is ready to assume responsibility and accountability for the health promotion, assessment, diagnosis, and management of client problems including the prescription of pharamacologic agents within their specialty area of clinical practice.
The DNP degree is also for those nurses seeking a terminal degree in nursing practice that offers an alternative to research-focused doctoral programs. DNP-prepared nurses are well-equipped to fully implement the science developed by nurse researchers prepared in PhD, DNSc, and other research-focused nursing doctorates.
- See the DNP AACN Essentials and the National Nurse Practitioner Faculties Core Competencies for all nurse practitioners.
- The National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (NAPNAP) is the professional home for PNP’s and other advanced practice nurses who care for children and is a great resource.
- Review the certification test to be a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner from the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB).
- Take the certification test to be a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Required on campus clinical institute dates (required for all newly admitted students):
- Summer Semester: May 30th, and 31st 2018, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
On Campus Residency Requirements
Students are required to come to campus for residency each semester during their clinical courses. Faculty and advisors communicate campus dates early so students can plan their schedules.
State Regulation Requirements
We are now a part of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) which allows us to offer online programs to students in other SARA states. We are able to accept and enroll students into most of our online programs in 48 states, including Washington, DC. We highly recommend that you review this information prior to submitting your application. Please review the state regulatory map to verify the status of your state’s regulations.
Online/Hybrid Distance Education Program, How Does it Work?
We designed the graduate programs to give professionals flexibility. Our courses are conducted online, with some may require class/chat times. Class/chat times are scheduled on Thursdays or Fridays and are communicated well in advance.
Students use the Web-based software, Blackboard, for their online courses. Courses are conducted in synchronous and asynchronous modes depending on the professor and class. You can log on to find homework, class assignments, a class list, a syllabus and more at any time. The program allows students to engage in interactive learning with faculty and other students in an online platform.